2004 Extended Cab "fold Out" Window Leaks

Hopefully someone has some advice for this as I am ready to start my truck on fire. It's been a great truck overall, but as of late, the rear passenger side window in my 2004 Extended Cab have started leaking. They have been creating the wind noise for quite awhile. I noticed that the passenger side "wobble's" when pushed on a lot more than the drivers side. Last time I checked these windows were like $500 a piece. I'd rather not have to replace these windows. Anyone else having this problem? The glass company told me that they couldn't do anything but order a new window. If the only option is 2 $500 windows, then I will see if they will just use the adhesive they use for the windshield and seal both windows shut permanently. I don't use them anyway. Thanks.

-Brian

These fixed the wind noise on my 05. They pull the window in .050 tighter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wind-Noise-...sQ5fAccessories

I bought those as well, but I was unable to remove the old "dog bones" to replace with the new ones. Any suggestions? They didn't really come with instructions. I think the guy just had some pictures on his ebay auction.

These fixed the wind noise on my 05. They pull the window in .050 tighter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wind-Noise-...sQ5fAccessories

I bought those as well, but I was unable to remove the old "dog bones" to replace with the new ones. Any suggestions? They didn't really come with instructions. I think the guy just had some pictures on his ebay auction.

They will come out. you just need needle nose pliers and a screw driver, could have even been some long nose vice grips involved. I can't remember, and a lot of bending and prising. I have changed them out.

Also ran across this...

Models: 2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic

2003-2007 GMC Sierra Classic

Extended Cab Models Only

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT3787.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Owners may comment on a wind noise coming from the rear 1/4 glass of their extended cab truck. The wind noise may be diminished by pulling in on the glass handle. This concern may be caused by the glass handle/latch not holding the 1/4 glass closed tight enough against the weather seal. In most cases, the 1/4 glass will not be flush with the body/door and will be sticking out a few millimeters.

Recommendation/Instructions:

To correct this concern, adjust the 1/4 glass mounting flange inward so the handle/latch will pull the 1/4 glass tighter to the weather seal. Use the following procedure to adjust the mounting flange inward:

Remove the Side Access Door Trim Panel per SI Document ID # 764454

Open the 1/4 glass to the full open position.

Use channel locks or equivalent pliers and a cloth to adjust the mounting flange inward. Use the cloth to protect the painted surface of the flange and the 1/4 glass plastic frame and weather seal.

With the cloth in the jaws of the pliers, adjust the flange inward below the 1/4 glass handle/latch.

With the cloth in the jaws of the pliers, adjust the flange inward above the 1/4 glass handle/latch.

Note: It may take some pressure to adjust the flange inward. If a good thick cloth is used, no damage will be done to the painted surface or 1/4 glass frame/weather seal.

After adjusting the flange, close the 1/4 glass and check glass flushness to the body/door. The glass should be flush or slightly inward from the body/door, if not repeat steps 4 and 5.

Reinstall the Side Access Door Trim Panel per SI Document ID# 764454.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

looks like from that auction he is using a pair of snap ring pliers to open up the "dog bone" part

snap ring pliers can be configured to "open" or "close" when the handle is squeezed.

Yeah I went and bought a somewhat cheap pair of snap ring pliers, unfortunately they aren't strong enough to open it and pop it off the tabs. Was wondering if people had other ways of doing it. I will keep workin at it. Thanks again!

I used those "dogbones" and it helped but didn't eliminate it completely. What I found was the 3 hex bolts holding the frame in were loose. Tightened them up and haven't had a problem since. I fought those things till I was blue in the face getting them in.

I used those "dogbones" and it helped but didn't eliminate it completely. What I found was the 3 hex bolts holding the frame in were loose. Tightened them up and haven't had a problem since. I fought those things till I was blue in the face getting them in.

The one side leaks both air and water from car washes. And now its gotten cold out. I just don't want to get in the middle of it, and then not be able to get it back together. Not sure what you are referring too....3 hex bolts? Do you have a picture? Thanks.

Ok, so I finally got the dog bones installed. What a pain in the ass! Not real happy about scraping up all the plastic trying to remove the old dog bone and putting the new one in. Now time will tell if it will actually work.

Ok...took it down the highway. The dogbone replacement helped a little, but unfortunately didn't solve the problem. Not real happy with how cheap these crappy windows from GM are. Guess I'm going to see if the windshield company can glue it shut with whatever they use for Windshields. Last time I saw the bill the insurance company received for replacing one side and at $500 a side, I refuse to pay that. Hopefully this thread helped some others :lol:

I have noticed at times wind noise will get in mine. I would like to replace those "dogbones". Can anybody talk more about the installation of them? I haven't bought them yet because I'm afraid of it being tough to do...even braking something!!

I was a little intimidated at first too, but the leaking window (both air and water) was too much to bear, so I stepped up to the challenge. I used a flatblade screw driver, and while holding the window not quite all the way open, pried off the first part of the dogbone from the window assembly. (If you notice, you have to do this otherwise if the window is fully open, you won't be able to push the dogbone end off the "shaft"). Once you have the tab off, just rotate the handle / latch assembly and you will be able to remove it from the window.

I put this piece into a vise to hold it, and then used a screwdriver resting on a large file to "pry" the sides open wide enough to remove the old dogbone and insert the new one. This is a somewhat crude method to do it, but it did work. The only drawback is I now have some scuffs and rough marks where the vise held the piece and where I did the prying. I suspect I could remove most of it with a plastic file. I may tend to that later. Then, reinsert the latch back onto the window, swing the dogbone around and snap it back onto the shaft. All in all it just took a lot of force to make things move so the pieces would go together. I compared the 2 dogbones side by side and to the naked eye, I don't see a difference. But as I posted earlier, it did eliminate some of the wind noise. Just not fully unfortunately.

Archived