Camper Shell Question

I am looking at a Leer 100XL for my 08 sierra crew cab short box. I was quoted at $1379 for the shell and $599 for the wilderness package. My first question to those of you who know more than I do about Leer shells is: is this a competitive price? By searching the forum it seems pretty good but I could not find a price for the XL specifically just other 100 series models.

My second question is about the actual appearance of the shell. I have seen a few pictures on Leer's website of this cap and it looks like the roof line of the cab and the roof line of the shell are not completely straight. It looks almost like the back of the shell's roof is slanted upward. If anyone has a picture of their GMT900 with and Leer shell from a profile view I would love to see if it is straight or not. I attached the picture from Leer's website to help explain what I mean.

Thanks ahead of time.

post-61538-1266275063_thumb.jpg

1479 and 580 for the Adventure package is what my price was quoted. Since i have looked at them i think im more of a fan of the 180. I know its not alot of a difference but i think its worth it with the slightly extra rear window visability. if not id go with the 100R just for the standard 50/50 sliding side windows.

I was looking at a cap before I got my truck. What is in the wilderness pkg?

The Wilderness Package comes complete with LEER graphics, a ceiling mounted lockable storage box for guns and other valuables, a fold-down clothes hanger, interior headliner, the Thule Tracker II Roof Rack System and a LEER/Thule Roof Rack Fairing. No truck cap is better prepared for the hunt.

http://www.leer.com/Lifestyle_Packages

I would definately say it is an illusion and it does not get taller in the back and is perfectly straight. I have an ARE cap and I just went through my pictures and the one from the back angle also appears to be taller just like the picture you posted but I also have a side view that shows it is straight across.

Back when I was looking for caps I went to the Leer dealer and the price you quoted seems about right...tha's also why I went with an ARE as it was just a bit cheaper and the quality is as good or better.

Haven't had a cap for years. Last one I had was on an F150 (1994). It was a Leer, and it was a great product. the business I bought it from (still frequent them) doesn't carry Leer anymore. I asked why, and they said that their quality had suffered and are an ARE delaer now.

I have NO WAY of knowing if this is true, or not. As stated, I had a Leer years ago and it was a good cap. :D

Check the For Sale section of this forum. Yesterday there was a guy selling a Leer 100XQ which is one model above the 100XL. I think he had it listed for a fair price.

thanks, I saw the add you were talking about, but it is for local pickup only in FL. Does anyone have pictures of a GMT-900, preferrably a sierra, with either a Leer 100 series or ARE Z-series? It would be a huge help and you get to show off your truck in the process.

Thanks

I just had a Leer XQ installed on my '10 Sierra. It looks great; that rise you see in the picture is indeed an optical illusion from that camera angle. I especially like the keyless remote feature. I've taken it back in for a couple issues, but those were installer issues, not manufacture issues.

I just had a Leer XQ installed on my '10 Sierra. It looks great; that rise you see in the picture is indeed an optical illusion from that camera angle. I especially like the keyless remote feature. I've taken it back in for a couple issues, but those were installer issues, not manufacture issues.

Yeah that's kinda what I figured. Any Pictures? I have been going back and forth between the XL and the XQ, what sold you on the XQ? The price I was quoted was the XQ is $1599, $220 more than the XL.

If you could get a picture up of the XQ when you get a chance I would really appreciate it.

The ARE CX looks nice and the side opening windows are definitely a plus. I was original looking at caps with 50/50 side glass or the pop open kind you have for functionality, but I think the 100 series and Z series look a little better. I guess vanity is getting the best of me.

I know my truck is an 06 and yours is an 08 but don't rule out the ARE Z series too soon. I picked mine up just under a year ago and paid $1590. It has hidden rear glass hinges and bolts, pop out side windows (I actually like them as they break the solid look of the long glass), it is fully lined with carpet, and has a nice slant on the rear glass unlike the other ARE cap I have on my other truck (Ford). You can see it in the one picture.

The optical illusion picture i was talking about.

img1592v.jpg

img1587o.jpg

Archived