Where Is The Turn/flasher Relay On An 03 2500?

Well when i turn on my right signal i get the 4-ways, so from what i've been reading it sounds like the flasher relay, which i think is under the dash on the drivers side but im not for sure, any help would be great!!!

My headlights just quit one night and I drove back with my fogs.

Took it to the dealer and they changed the turn signal/cruise arm as well as a cluster of wires in/wires out under the steering wheel behind that plastic shield.

3 hours and $800 CDN.

Just to give you the heads up if this is the case with you.

FYI , it only took them slightly over an hour to get it done but their "book rate" makes them charge me 3 hours.

Can you spell bankruptcy?

Ofcourse , we're paying for that , too.

Yeah , call me a little bitter.

Well when i turn on my right signal i get the 4-ways, so from what i've been reading it sounds like the flasher relay, which i think is under the dash on the drivers side but im not for sure, any help would be great!!!

Open the drivers side door. On the side of the dash there is a fuse panel cover. Pull it off and you will see a fuse block about 5" x 5". The flasher module is installed into the back side of it.

ENGAGE THE EMERGENCY BRAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will be taking the shift lever out of park to do this.

Remove the panel underneath the steering wheel. There are two 9/32 screws on the bottom that hold it on. You will need to detach the drivers side dash face to get the top of the lower panel free. To do this, ENGAGE THE EMERGENCY BRAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!, lower the steering wheel all the way down and put the column shifter all the way down. Once the upper dash is off put the shifter back in park.

Once the lower panel is removed you can see the back side of the fuse block through an openinging about 2 & 1/2" x 6". There will be a black box insterted into the back of it vertically, this is the flasher module. There will be an electrical connector right above it.

The easiest way I found to remove the module was to first disconnect the electrical connector above it and place it out of the way. This will allow access to a small gap between the base of the module and the fuse block. Gently pry the module up just a bit at the top end while pulling the bottom end out w/ your fingers to remove the module EVENLY. This will minimize bending of the pins in the base of the module. Note the orientation of the pins so you will remeber how to insert the new module properly.

Insert the new module and recconnect the wire connector you removed earlier. At this point I tested the Flashers and Turn signals to ensure proper operation. Reassemble the lower dash panel and then the upper. Remember to return the shifter to park.

Photo's follow...

Quick Bitch for ya...

Tried to buy the module from three different parts dealers yesterday. Each one, NAPA, Autozone & Advance was more interested in helping phone customers than me, the guy standing @ the counter w/ cash in hand! I waited 15 min @ Advance for the phone to quit ringing and both NAPA and Autozone stopped in the middle of waiting on me to answer the phone and look up parts for whoever was on the line! I waited a couple minutes on the guy at autozone untill he started looking up the 3rd part for phone guy and walked out as soon as the NAPA guy asked the person on the phone the make and model of thier car! So much for customer service!!! I'm pretty sure that when I worked at an auto parts store we utilized the Hold button when we had a customer at the counter...

Whew Thanks for letting me vent...feel much better now!

post-68959-1257704451_thumb.jpg

Edited by tpafleng
  • Like 1

Last one Pic 11.

What I think is happening here is the relay for the left blinker circuit gets stuck, either by the contacts getting hot and fusing together temporarily or the chip gets hot and keeps the relay holding circuit energized when it should be deenergized. Either way I feel dumb as hell when I go to turn left and my flashers go off.

RockAuto lists two replacement parts for this module...

P/N 10383321 is supposed to be the Superceding P/N for the old GM P/N 15764135

&

P/N 10383320 which is supposed to be part of a trialering package. I read a post where a guy used the 10383320 P/N and had no problems. It is also $21.00 cheaper than the replacement P/N. I'll be ordering this one today.

Best of luck.

post-68959-1257705006_thumb.jpg

Edited by tpafleng
  • Like 1

Last one Pic 11.

What I think is happening here is the relay for the left blinker circuit gets stuck, either by the contacts getting hot and fusing together temporarily or the chip gets hot and keeps the relay holding circuit energized when it should be deenergized. Either way I feel dumb as hell when I go to turn left and my flashers go off.

&

P/N 10383320 which is supposed to be part of a trialering package. I read a post where a guy used the 10383320 P/N and had no problems. It is also $21.00 cheaper than the replacement P/N. I'll be ordering this one today.

Best of luck.

Hey thanks for all the help and pictures!!!! really explained it all! The local GM dealership said it was almost $100 for it, i'd have to think he looked up the wrong thing. Are you buying yours through RockAuto?, just curious what the total is. I have a trailering package so it sounds like i'd want the one with the part# ending in 0. Sounds like its just a little more heavy duty allowing for extra trailer lights. And i feel exactly the same way you do about feeling dumb as hell when your flashers go off!!!! thanks again!~

Last one Pic 11.

&

Best of luck.

Hey thanks for all the help and pictures!!!! really explained it all! The local GM dealership said it was almost $100 for it, i'd have to think he looked up the wrong thing. Are you buying yours through RockAuto?, just curious what the total is. I have a trailering package so it sounds like i'd want the one with the part# ending in 0. Sounds like its just a little more heavy duty allowing for extra trailer lights. And i feel exactly the same way you do about feeling dumb as hell when your flashers go off!!!! thanks again!~

I paid $41.31 with tax and shipping. It hasn't arrived yet though. Funny thing...Since taking the old one out and apart and the putting it back together it hasn't missed a beat. I'll post again once the new one comes it.

• 2 weeks later...
Last one Pic 11.

&

Best of luck.

I paid $41.31 with tax and shipping. It hasn't arrived yet though. Funny thing...Since taking the old one out and apart and the putting it back together it hasn't missed a beat. I'll post again once the new one comes it.

The new part arrived about a week ago. I have yet to put it in because the original relay has been working fine ever since I opened the cover and LIGHTLY cleaned the contacts. I plan on leaving it in until failure.

• 1 year later...

Awesome information in there. Thanks for that. I'm going to dig this topic out since it relates to a previous post I made and this answered it.

So, is RockAuto the best place you've found ? GM says 84 or 110$ or so depending on the model (the one ending with 20 or 21).

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the great info!! My left turn signal would work most of the time, but sometimes it would "stick on" so I'd tap the switch lever a few times and then it would work properly. Then the other day I had my right side turn signals come on automatically, front and rear, all day while I was at work and my wife said they would not turn off. I got home and checked a few things and was baffled, so was the dealer when I called during the day to get suggestions. Well I pulled the flasher module last night after reading your post and seeing the pictures and one side of the contacts was stuck. I cleaned them with Elec Contact cleaner and retried it, but it still would not click like it should. So going to order from Rockauto today. They seem to have the best combined price with shipping. $42.62

Thanks again!!

Edited by SkidooSteve12