197306.jpg

197307.jpg

After blocks were removed:

197333.jpg

197304.jpg

Couple after shots

197351.jpg

197649.jpg

And yes, if you have a keen eye you'll notice the bowtie turned black in the process :confused:

Before it gets asked, and I know some are wondering... I'll just add this.

Why drop a 4x4?

I used to wonder the same thing until recently. 4 wheel drive isn't only for the people who go offroading. In fact I didn't even buy my truck to go offroading, I bought a 4x4 because of the Minnesota winters. A 2 wheel drive truck simply sucks here, plus with 4 wheel drive I have the added pull from the front wheels when pulling a boat out of a slippery dock. Resale value on a two wheel drive truck in Minnesota is also terrible, so it was a better investment to purchase the four wheel drive. Those are three examples right off the top of my head. My truck is also a Z71 to confuse you even more... I always wanted a Z71, call it good marketing by GM or whatever you want, but that's what I wanted. But, with that package I also got better shocks and added protection under the truck among other things. Since I've owned my truck (new in 2001) I have not done any offroading, pulled or hauled anything or taken my truck anywhere it couldn't go right now just as well. Any offroading, towing/hauling or otherwise that I have done in the past I could still do today.

And besides, my axles are the same height now as they were before... so what difference does it make if I lowered the back end of the body 2"?

I'm a big fan of a lifted truck, and that was always my intention... but until I can afford about a 6" suspension lift and new wheels and tires, it's out of the question. I did think about a 3" body lift just because it's less expensive, but that's not something I really want to do.

My truck is my daily driver, the ride so far seems better than before and does not wander when I hit rough areas on the road like it used to.

Coming from someone who used to think the same way this is the best I can describe my decision.

Thanks!

They were 9" long which I knew would be way too long, but I just cut them off. 7" bolts would have done the job just fine but I didn't want to get that far and be hosed.

Didn't need to do anything else, but I did turn the t-bars down a little... still within spec on the alignment too.

They were 9" long which I knew would be way too long, but I just cut them off. 7" bolts would have done the job just fine but I didn't want to get that far and be hosed.

Didn't need to do anything else, but I did turn the t-bars down a little... still within spec on the alignment too.

I have been wanting to lower my truck a little more...nothing too radical. How much drop can you get from turning down the T-bars, and does it screw up anything? Does it make the ride any stiffer? Thanks for the help. :confused:

I turned the passenger side down 1 turn and the driver side 2.5 turns. (Driver side was a lot higher than the passenger side.)

No adverse effects and my alignment was still within spec, but I do recommend you at least have it checked, only cost me $20 for piece of mind, some places may do a check for free.

I've heard of people doing 5-7 turns, but I'd imagine that would be just as bad as cranking them all the way up.

I have been wanting to lower my truck a little more...nothing too radical. How much drop can you get from turning down the T-bars, and does it screw up anything? Does it make the ride any stiffer? Thanks for the help. :confused:

Looks really good Lucky, this is something I've been considering too! I'm in the same boat as you exactly...I never go off roading, got 4x4 for Jersey winters, and bought the Z71 because I "wanted a Z71" (which is no longer a Z71 since I removed the decals, factory air cleaner, and factory shocks lol!). Eventually I'd even like to get some SS wheels or something aftermarket and street tires like Black did :confused: I'm sure that the handling of the truck has improved :banghead: Good job man!

It took about an hour and a half, only because I had some issues aligning the knob into the leaf springs on the driver side, but once I put the jack under the differential so the whole rear end was up then I could move the axle into position... kind of one of those 'duh' moments :dupe:

• 1 month later...

Archived