Hood Light!

2006 CCSB Silverado: I opened my hood at night for the first time and noticed that there was no light under there to illuminate things. Did they forget to put one in or did it never come with one??? :thumbs:

I liked them because they gave me a little bit of light to just look things over when it's dark. I have a Maglight, but don't always want to have to grab it when I just want to look under the hood and take a general assesment, or just make sure I can find the dipsticks to different fluids. No big deal, just thought I would check.

Thanks for the replies.

Ben

NO underhood light since 2003 along with 2nd power port, lumbar,

body side moulding on box, floor lights, glove box light, etc., etc. !!

Exactly!! dome and map lights are next!!!

They took out the underhood light because they all used mercury in it to operate the switch.

They took out the underhood light because they all used mercury in it to operate the switch.

My 2000 silvy has one but it sucks......I have to tap the crap out of it for it to come on................I remember my 89 Z71 had a great one.......it was the one that had a switch and you could pull the light out of the holder and it would make it most of the way around the truck........it just recoiled back in afterwards..............im going to eventually go to a salvage yard and find a good one.......doen't really care what vehicle its out of........ :thumbs:

My 2000 silvy has one but it sucks......I have to tap the crap out of it for it to come on................I remember my 89 Z71 had a great one.......it was the one that had a switch and you could pull the light out of the holder and it would make it most of the way around the truck........it just recoiled back in afterwards..............im going to eventually go to a salvage yard and find a good one.......doen't really care what vehicle its out of........ :thumbs:

Wow, we owned the same year trucks, I also had a 2000 (GMC Sierra though) and an 89 (Also a Sierra). I also like the recoiling "trouble" light idea. That was awesome, wasn't it also magnetic, so you could stick it on where you wanted it?

My '01 has one. It also would not turn on sometimes unless I tapped on it. I took it to dealer when it was still in the 3 year warranty and they put a new one in. It works fine. I wonder if it is mercury operated or something else.

My '01 has one. It also would not turn on sometimes unless I tapped on it. I took it to dealer when it was still in the 3 year warranty and they put a new one in. It works fine. I wonder if it is mercury operated or something else.

None of mine have had mercury in them, they all have had a metal rocker that would turn it on.

The one in my truck acts like most after a couple of years....it needs a little tap for it to come on.

Is there something inside that needs to be cleaned periodically to make it more reliable ?

It's a small light, but it is useful when you have to hood up at night tring to put windshield washer fluid in. ;)

Archived